1. Home
  2. Motorbike insurance

Motorbike insurance

Compare cheap motorbike insurance quotes

50% of bikers paid £196 or less for their motorbike insurance1

  • We compare up to 40 motorbike insurance providers

  • Get a quote in less than 5 mins

  • 94% of our bike insurance customers would recommend us

1Based on Confused.com data in September 2021, 50% of customers paid £196.00 or less for their motorbike insurance

Why you should always compare motorbike insurance

If you want to ride your motorbike on UK roads, it’s a legal requirement that you have a valid motorbike insurance policy. But that doesn’t mean you have to pay over the odds for protection.

We search up to 40 motorbike insurance providers to make sure you find the motorbike insurance quotes that suit your needs and budget. Compare bike quotes now to see how much you could save on your bike insurance.

What you need to get a motorbike insurance quote

You can get a motorbike insurance quote in just a few minutes. Having the following information to hand makes it even quicker and easier:

Motorbike details:

  • Motorbike registration or the make and model
  • The year your motorbike was manufactured
  • The estimated value of your bike
  • Any modifications made to your bike
  • The motorbike security devices you have
  • Where you keep your motorbike

Rider details:

  • The type of motorbike licence you have and how long you’ve had it
  • How you’ll use your bike
  • Estimated yearly mileage
  • Any claims or convictions you've had
  • Any additional rider’s details
  • If you need any extras, such as pillion cover, breakdown cover or helmet & leathers coveI

Motorbike insurance extras and add-ons

A standard motorbike insurance policy will generally cover your bike and other road users. But you might want to consider some extra cover to suit your needs. Here are some add-ons you can include in your policy:

  • Pillion cover, which covers you if you carry passengers on the back of your motorbike or moped.
  • Helmet and leathers cover. Meaning your motorbike clothing is covered if it’s damaged in an accident.
  • Legal expenses, helping you with legal costs following an accident.
  • Breakdown cover. Provides you with roadside assistance if you breakdown.
  • Sidecar insurance. Provides cover for your sidecar.
  • European/overseas cover allows you to drive abroad. Levels of cover vary between insurers.
  • Key cover can cover the loss and replacement of your motorbike’s keys.
  • Personal accident. Designed to protect you and your family if you’re seriously injured or die in an accident.

Insurance companies may include some of these add-ons as part of their policy. But if they’re not included they’ll come with an extra cost.

50% of bikers paid £196 or less for their motorbike insurance1

The three levels of motorbike insurance

The level of cover you choose could impact what you’re covered for, as well as how much you pay.

Just as with car or van insurance there are three levels of cover:

  • Third-party is the minimum amount of cover you’re legally required to have. While you might think this would be the cheapest option for riders, that’s not always the case. It’s a basic level of cover that covers damage to other vehicles and property as the result of an accident that’s deemed your fault.

    It doesn’t cover your motorcycle for repairs or replacement if it’s stolen, damaged or involved in an accident.
  • Third-party, fire and theft gives you the same level of cover as with third-party, but also covers against repair or replacement costs if it’s stolen or damaged by fire.
  • Comprehensive offers one of the highest levels of protection. As well as covering other people and their property in the event of an accident, you’re also covered for damage to your motorcycle.

How much motorbike insurance costs

The average price of a comprehensive motorbike insurance policy in the UK is £2552.

Motorbike insurance tends to get cheaper as you get older. From an insurer’s point of view, older riders tend to be more careful riders and are less likely to have an accident. But age is just one of multiple factors that affect the price of your insurance.

2Vast: visibility data: Average price of premium (12 months) between May 2021 and July 2021

A graph showing how much bike insurance costs

How motorbike insurance quotes are calculated

Motorbike insurers look at a number of factors to give you an insurance price. Some of the bigger factors include:

  • Your age and riding experience
  • Your riding history, including previous convictions or points on your licence
  • Any previous claims you’ve made
  • How much no-claims bonus you have
  • How much voluntary excess you’re willing to pay
  • Where you keep your motorbike the majority of the time
  • Your motorbike’s make, model, type and engine size
  • What security the bike has – including locks, alarms and trackers
  • How you use the bike, whether it’s for social commuting or business use.

Top tips for cheaper motorbike insurance

Shopping around is the best way to find cheaper motorbike insurance. But if you’re looking for more ways to save money, here are some top tips:

  • Increase security measures for your bike. Park in a secure area like a garage or secure car park and use extra security devices.
  • Limit your annual mileage. The more miles you do, the more insurance tends to cost.
  • Avoid modifications as they often increase the cost of your insurance.
  • Consider a bike with a less powerful engine. Bigger engines tend to cause more expensive claims.
  • Increase your voluntary excess to shave pounds off your insurance costs. But remember you’ll need to be able to afford the payout in the event of a claim.

We compare up to 40 trusted insurance companies to get you our cheapest deal

Compare cheap motorbike insurance quotes

How you use your motorbike could affect your insurance price

If you’re looking for a cheap motorbike insurance quote, it’s important that you choose the right class of use when you get your quote. You need to be honest about how, when and where you use your bike. If you aren’t, your insurance might be invalidated, and you could be hit with points and a fine.

There are four classes of use for bike insurance:

  • Social, domestic and pleasure (SDP or SD&P)
  • Social including commuting (SDPC or SDP inc. C)
  • Class 1 business use
  • Courier, delivery or dispatch insurance

Social, domestic and pleasure (SDP or SD&P) is the class for riders who only use their motorbike for social reasons, such as bank holiday ride-outs and bike-tests. Many SDP riders only do a few thousand miles a year, and your MOT certificate should show you how many miles you covered last year.

Social and commuting (SDPC or SDP inc. C) includes anyone who uses their bike to ride to and from a single place of work. It’s sometimes known as ‘scooter-commuter’ cover, but it’s required for any motorbike you use to commute with.

Remember, SDPC only covers you for riding your bike to and from one work location. If you work in more than one location, you might need Class 1 cover instead. If you use your motorbike to ride to the bus or train station and continue the commute using public transport, you should still select social and commuting.

Class 1 business use protects riders who use their motorbike to travel to different places for work, rather than just between their home and the office.

This class of use could be for you if you:

  • Travel to multiple places of work
  • Ride all over the country as part of your job
  • Use your motorbike to meet clients, suppliers or customers

Courier, delivery or dispatch insurance. If you’re a delivery rider or courier then you might want to consider courier cover. We don’t offer courier and delivery insurance at Confused.com – you’ll need to go to a specialist insurer for this kind of policy.

Choosing the right motorbike for you

The type of motorbike you go for depends on what you want to use it for. These motorcycles have different performance levels and some could be a greater target for thieves. Here are some of the common types:

  • Sports bikes
  • Scooters/mopeds
  • Naked bikes
  • Cruisers
  • Adventure/adventure sport bikes
  • Touring motorcycles

For more information, check out our guide on the different types of motorbikes.

If you’re thinking about getting your first bike, our guide on buying the right motorbike for you can help. It might help you get through the complicated and often expensive process of buying and learning to ride your first motorbike.

What our motorbike insurance expert says

When comparing motorbike insurance, it’s important to remember insuring your bike is really just the start. When you add up the cost of your helmet and leathers which aren’t normally covered by your motorbike insurance, you might see the value in helmet and leathers cover.

And unfortunately we know bikers are involved in more than their fair share of accidents, so personal accident will cover you if you’re injured. Breakdown cover might also be worthwhile as it’s no fun sitting in the rain on a conked-out motorbike.

Jack Cox product expert signature

Jack Cox

Motorbike insurance product manager

Need more help?

Can I add other bikes to my motorcycle insurance policy?

Yes you can. Some motorbike insurance companies offer multi bike insurance policies. This lets you put multiple motorbikes under a single policy to reduce the admin headache. You could also get a discount on each motorbike you add to the policy.

Can I add other people to my motorcycle insurance policy?

Generally, yes. Most insurers should let you add another named rider to your policy. To add another rider, you need to provide the insurance company with some details about their riding history, such as claims and convictions.

Adding a rider to your policy could see your insurance costs go up, as the bike will be on the road for longer, there’s a greater risk of making a claim.

Can I get a new replacement if my bike is written off?

Normally you only get a brand-new replacement when your motorbike is written off if it was new or if you’ve recently bought it.

If your motorcycle is older, you’re likely to get a payout from your insurer that reflects its current value, minus your policy excess.

Can I insure my sidecar? 

Yes you can. You don’t normally need to get a dedicated insurance policy for the sidecar, though. Get in touch with your insurance company and tell them that you’ve fitted a sidecar to your motorbike. Give them the make, model and value of the sidecar and it should be covered under your policy.

If you have a self-built sidecar, you might need to look for specialist cover for it. Have a chat with your insurance company and see what cover they offer.

Can I ride my motorbike abroad?

Yes, with the right insurance. Before you go abroad with your bike you should check to see:

  • If your existing policy covers you
  • How long you’re covered for
  • Which countries you’re insured to ride in
  • If your level of cover is the same as when you’re abroad
  • If you’re travelling in the EU and have a photocard licence, you don’t need to get an international driving permit or a green card.

Can I transfer my car's no-claims bonus to my motorbike?

Some insurance companies allow you to carry your car's no-claims bonus over to your motorbike policy, but many won't. If in doubt, check with your insurer before you commit to buying a policy.

You can only use your car no-claims on one vehicle at a time. So, if your no-claims bonus is currently on your car, you can’t use it on your motorbike.

Can you insure imported motorbikes?

Yes you can, though not all motorbike insurance companies offer cover for imported models. Imported motorbikes come in two types - parallel and grey.

Parallel imports come from within the EU, so should already meet minimum UK standards. These imports tend to be relatively easy to insure.

Grey imports come from outside the EU. They might not meet UK vehicle standards, so you might need to pay to modify them before you can ride. Grey imports tend to be more expensive to insure due to the need for specialist, imported parts.

Does motorcycle insurance cover me when I ride other bikes?

Some comprehensive motorbike insurance policies cover you to ride other bikes – normally on a third-party-only basis. Make sure you check your insurance policy before riding someone else’s bike though.

If you need to borrow a friend’s bike for a short while, temporary motorbike insurance could be another solution. You can get comprehensive cover for a single day or a longer period.

Does motorcycle insurance cover modifications?

Most insurance companies cover modifications that don’t affect performance under a standard policy.

If this is the case, your insurer should provide a list of modifications you don’t have to tell them about on their website. You must declare all other modifications to the insurer. This could make your insurance costs go up.

For more information, take a look at our guide on modified motorbike insurance.

Does my motorbike insurance cover punctures and damaged wheels?

Generally, no. Most standard motorcycle insurance policies don’t cover you for punctures or damage to your wheels.

To avoid being stuck at the side of the road, you can get motorbike breakdown cover, which offers roadside assistance.

Does my motorcycle insurance cover me to carry passengers?

This is often called pillion cover. Whether you’re covered to carry passengers depends on the policy you buy. Most motorbike insurance policies don’t offer pillion cover as standard, so check the terms and conditions of your policy before carrying any passengers. You might be able to buy pillion cover as an add-on to your policy.

You should also check that your motorcycle licence allows you to carry passengers.

How do I make a claim on my motorbike insurance?

If you’re involved in an accident you should report it to your insurance company. There should be a phone number for their claims department on your policy documents or on the company’s website.

Make sure to pass on all the details you took from the scene of the accident to your insurer within 24 hours. For more information, check out our guide on how to claim on your motorbike insurance.

How do motorbike licence grades work?

Motorbike licence grades are similar to driving licence categories that let you drive different vehicles, eg cars, buses and trucks.

Your motorbike licence entitles you to ride certain kinds of bikes and engine sizes. You’ll likely see restrictions based on:

  • Your age
  • Your riding experience
  • The power of the bike

You can read more on the GOV.UK website or check out our guide on getting your motorbike licence.

If your motorcycle is older, you’re likely to get a payout from your insurer that reflects its current value, minus your policy excess.

If my motorbike is written off, can I buy it back and rebuild? Or reuse the parts?

This depends on your insurer and how bad the write-off was. Write-offs are categorised in a similar way to cars and given a rating of A, B, S or N:

Categories A (scrap) and B (break) mean the motorcycle can't be put into circulation again. It’s unlikely the insurance company would let you buy it back, even for parts.

Categories S (structurally damaged, repairable) and N (non-structurally damaged, repairable) could be a bit more flexible. Insurers might let you buy back the whole motorbike, or just parts of it.

Get in touch with your insurance company and ask them about their policy regarding write-offs.

I'm 16 and looking to start motorbike lessons. Where do I begin?

When you’re 16, you should be able to ride either a moped or a scooter with a maximum engine size of 50cc.

But before you can legally ride on the road, you need to have a provisional licence and complete a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course.

You’re legally required to display L-plates at all times when riding your scooter as long as you’ve got a provisional licence. If you’re caught riding without them, you risk getting points on your licence and a fine.

Is there an agreed value payout if my motorcycle is written off?

Normally, if your motorbike is declared a write-off, the payout you get should be at the motorbike’s current value, which takes depreciation into account.

Some motorbike insurance policies might offer an Agreed Value feature, particularly if you own a classic motorcycle. This means you’re not left out of pocket following an accident.

To get an agreed value, you might need to get an independent valuation of the motorbike, as well as provide photographs and receipts to the insurance company.

Is trike insurance different to motorbike insurance?

If your trike is a standard, manufactured model, we can quickly compare insurance quotes and get you covered.

But many trikes tend to be non-standard, custom builds. If this is the case, you can still compare prices with us, but you might need to call the insurer you choose and confirm all your vehicle details.

This helps make sure that your policy and price are correct, and you're getting the right level of cover. Mistakes made when you take out the policy could become expensive to fix later on.

I've entered my bike's details but I can't find it. What should I do?

New models and imported bikes can sometimes be difficult to find, and some models might be under a slightly different name. For example, if you’re looking for a Piaggio, look under ‘Vespa Piaggio’. If your details are correct and you still can’t find your bike, try our contact form - we’re happy to help.

Should I insure my motorbike for an entire year, or cancel my policy when it's not in use?

You have to have motorbike insurance in place, unless your bike has a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN). Being uninsured is illegal and could land you with a fine and points on your licence.

You could take out a policy just for the summer, and cancel in the autumn. But with cancellation fees and the relatively low cost of motorbike insurance, you’re unlikely to save much money doing things this way.

There are temporary motorbike insurance policies available, which lets you insure your motorbike for parts of the year. But you’d still need to give your motorbike a SORN every time the insurance policy expires.

What does excess mean?

Excess is a set amount of money that you need to put towards a claim. This amount is usually deducted from any potential payout you might get.

Let’s say you make a motorbike insurance claim to replace your bike after an accident, and the total payout is £1,000. If you’ve set your excess to, say, £250, that amount gets deducted from the £1,000. That leaves you with £750 to replace your motorbike.

What is CBT?

Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) is the minimum level of training all motorbike riders must complete before they’re allowed to ride on public roads.

There’s no pass or fail - it’s a course that teaches you the basics of motorcycle control before you start your lessons.

Why do I need both a motorcycle and a car licence?

If you don’t have a car driving licence, you can leave this question blank and still carry on with getting your quote. A full UK licence allows you to drive a motorbike provisionally - if you have one, we need to know when you got your licence.

Show more
Confused.com motorbike insurance is administered by Vast Visibility Ltd who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under firm reference number 566973. Vast Visibility Ltd is registered in England & Wales No. 05866769 at office: 8 Princes Parade, Liverpool, L3 1DL. Our service is free and compares a wide range of trusted household names. Confused.com is an intermediary and receives commission from Vast Visibility Ltd which is a percentage of the total commission if you decide to buy through our website. We pride ourselves on impartiality and independence – therefore we don't promote any one insurance provider over another.