Motorhome insurance

Compare insurance quotes for your motorhome

Get a quote
Takes about 7 mins

What is the difference between motorhomes and campervans?

There are several important differences between a motorhome and a campervan. So different insurance policies are needed depending on which you have.

Motorhomes are purpose-built and usually have the following features:

  • Larger interior with extra space for storage
  • More clearly defined areas for driving and living
  • Additional features, such as over-cab space.

Campervans tend to be smaller and have more basic facilities. Also, campervans usually don’t have separate driving and living areas.

It’s important to make sure you get the right insurance policy. Get a quote to fully understand your needs.

What level of cover should I choose?

There are three levels of cover available for motorhome insurance:

  • Third party is the minimum level of cover you’ll need to drive a motorhome in the UK. This will cover the cost of any vehicle damage or personal injury claims suffered by someone, in an accident, that was your fault
  • Third party, fire and theft, as well as being covered for third party scenarios, you’ll also be covered if your motorhome is stolen or suffers fire damage
  • Fully comprehensive includes all third party, fire and theft cover and also protects you if your motorhome is damaged or destroyed by something, which is your fault

Make sure you’re covered for all possible scenarios and get the level of cover that is right for you.

How to get cheaper motorhome insurance

The price of your motorhome insurance can vary based on a number of things. It’s important to make sure you get the right level of cover for your motorhome and not just the cheapest policy.

There are a few things you can do that could help you pay less for your motorhome insurance:

Paying annually for your policy. Most insurers will charge an interest rate if you opt to pay monthly.

Building up your no claims bonus can help save you money.

Adding extra security such as an alarm or immobiliser can help bring your price down. Consider where you park your car overnight too as this can affect costs.

Does my home contents insurance cover items in my motorhome?

Whether or not your home contents insurance covers items in your motorhome will depend on the type of cover you have. Some items may be covered if you have specified these in your policy. However, it’s very unlikely that your home contents insurance will cover you for any general household items in your motorhome, such as a television.

Is motorhome insurance a legal requirement?

Yes, it’s a legal requirement to have motorhome insurance. You can avoid insuring your motorhome by officially declaring it off the road. To do this you’ll need to contact the DVLA and apply for a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).

What does motorhome insurance not cover?

Motorhome insurance may not cover you for everything. Be sure to check your policy carefully for what is and isn’t included. Things that are typically not included are:

  • Damage through general wear and tear
  • Theft through lack of security features or negligence, such as leaving a window open
  • Damage through vermin or insect infestation
Get a quote

Get a quote on your motorhome insurance in minutes

You might also be interest in other insurance types motorhome and caravan insurance is administered by Vast Visibility Ltd who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under firm reference number 566973. Vast Visibility Ltd is registered in England & Wales No. 05866769 at office: 8 Princes Parade, Liverpool, L3 1DL.
Our service is free and compares a wide range of trusted household names. is an intermediary and receives commission from Vast Visibility Ltd which is a percentage of the total commission if you decide to buy through our website. We pride ourselves on impartiality and independence – therefore we don't promote any one insurance provider over another.